Monday, September 22, 2014

P-Day with a GA, Amazing Birthday and Year Mark Week!!!!

My first visit to the famous "Bean"
in Downtown Chicago
Good Morning Amazing Family and Friends! Well, it happened, I have officially been out on my mission for a year now! It is sooooo strange to think about :-) But it was a super amazing week and I can't wait to tell you all about it!

Last Monday really was one or the most incredible days! We woke up a half hour early so we could get out the door an hour earlier after studies. We went and emailed for a little bit. We then left to drive to East Chicago to catch our train. But there was an accident and traffic was at a standstill and we definitely wouldn't make it by staying on the interstate. By taking a different route, we got to the station right as the train was pulling in. We found a parking spot real close and ran in the station, up the stairs, and onto the platform just in time. We definitely shouldn't have made it on that train but Heavenly Father was watching out for us! We had a great ride to Downtown Chicago and then a beautiful walk from the station to the Shedd Aquarium. We were standing in line, a pretty long line, and I happened to look back and saw a face that I recognized. It took me a second to realize who it was. Elder Hamula, the member of the First Quorum of the 70 that toured our mission last week, and his wife! We went back to stand in line with them and talk with them. They really enjoyed talking with us and it was so cool to just stand in line with a member of the 70 and hear about their life! They talked about their different experiences as a general authority and about their 3 kids who are all on missions and were emailing them right then. They loved showing us pictures too. Eventually we made it to the front of the line and Hna Pearson and I decided to go ahead and pay the $40 so that we could see the aquatic show and all of the exhibits (because the Illinois free day only got you into the gallery). But when the Hamulas heard about it, they insisted on buying our tickets!!! 
With Elder and Sister Hamula
 of the 1st Quorum of the Seventy
at the Shedd Aquarium in
Downtown Chicago
Then Elder Hamula gave us permission to see the movie that came included with the ticket! We spent the next hour touring exhibits with them, I just couldn't get over the fact that we were chilling with a member of the Seventy at the aquarium on our P-Day! We went and saw the aquatic show which was really neat with dolphins, sea lions, and beluga whales. After that we separated from the Hamulas and went to touch Sting Rays, see the Wild Reef, and the Jellies exhibit. We then went up to watch the 4D movie about sea monsters with the Hamulas and that was fun, especially because Elder Hamula really enjoyed it and it was fun to watch a member of the 70 have so much enjoyment in a movie, as a missionary! Sorry, I keep talking about that but it really was just so mind blowing to me that the Lord blessed us with such a tender mercy! It was definitely an awesome birthday present! :) After the movie we said goodbye to them and then went and ate in the cafe overlooking the lake, went and saw the penguins and the beluga whales, and looked at a Caribbean Reef exhibit. We then left the aquarium and walked downtown to meet up with some other Hermanas. We were with them for a little bit then Hna Pearson and I went and emailed in front of the Bean to finish up P-Day before we had to catch our train back to Indiana. Barely catching that train as well, we finally made it back to East Chicago. Because our appointment for dinner canceled we went and saw some less actives in the area that the Elders are working with and then we drove home. It was definitely one of the best P-Days ever!

Tuesday was a good work day. We did a lot of stop-by's and were also able to teach the daughter of the returning members who is going to get baptized soon. When I first got here, we thought she was 9 already, meaning she would be a convert baptism. But she actually doesn't turn 9 until November so she won't technically be a convert baptism but it still incredible because this entire family has had a change of heart and is just doing amazing! We also saw a family that we are teaching and took their daughter a little present because it was her birthday. That evening we were able to see a less active hermana, and talk with her and share a message. It was a great day!

My Birthday Ice Cream Cake from DQ
that we enjoyed at our District Meeting
District Lunch at Noodles & Co for my Birthday
Wednesday, September 17, 2014: To think back to a year ago is crazy! Being set apart by President Orton, a final breakfast at BK with my family, flying out of Cedar, several flights later landing in Mexico, and arriving at the MTC. It is so hard to believe that all happened in one day. And now I am here, a year later, looking back. At that point a year ago, I honestly didn't know if I would make it this far. I couldn't see myself this far. But now I can't imagine not finishing this out. All in one instant, a year ago seems so long ago and so close! But today was a super good day! We got up and got ready then drove to Valpo. We went to the chiropractor's and he helped Hermana Pearson feel a lot better and adjusted me too. We then went to Dairy Queen and picked up the ice cream cake that my incredible family ordered for me for my birthday. District Meeting was good, we talked all about the things that we had learned from Mission Conference. At the end of our District Meeting we ate the DQ Birthday Cake and then played pinata baseball because we didn't have a bat to hit the pinata in the traditional way :) After that we had District Lunch at Noodles and Company which was SUPER good. Hna Pearson and I then drove home, making a quick stop at the cupcake shop to get some cupcakes :)  We did some teaching and contacting on Facebook, did our studies, and went to find the potential investigator we met at the Popcorn festival. We followed our GPS to her address and were astounded to find it was inside a gated, private community. As a Spanish missionary, I cannot tell you how strange that was for us. It wasn't too hard to get into the community and we found her outside watering her garden. She was happy to see us and we set up an appointment for us to come by and teach her. We then drove to branch member's store and helped her for a while.

Hermana Pearson made a special
Birthday Breakfast for me!
Saying Goodbye to my sweet former
companion Hermana Escobar
Thursday, September 18, 2014: WOW! So this is what it feels like to turn 20 and join the "2 done club" all in one day! It was an AWESOME birthday! My sweet companion was so amazing, she woke up, decorated the apartment, and made me breakfast, bacon and chocolate chip pancakes! We had studies and I got a call from a branch member. Her and her girls wanted to sing happy birthday to me before the girls went to school. It was the sweetest thing ever! Another branch member also texted me wishing me a happy birthday. After studies we went and ate at Olive Garden. It was super good and fun to be there with Hna Pearson. We went and got her Plan of Salvation laminated, proselyted on Facebook, and did some weekly planning. We then headed to our birthday dinner with a wonderful family of the branch. On our way there the hermanas serving in Rensalear texted us asking for the address of the family we were heading to. Both of us wondered why and thought maybe they were trying to surprise me for my birthday. We showed up and there was Hermana Escobar opening the door! I was so excited to see her. But then we found out the real reason they were there. They were on their way home from a doctor's visit in Chicago when Hna Escobar got the call that she is going home tomorrow because of her health :-(  I wasn't surprised but I am so sad. She just hasn't been getting better since we were companions. She is disappointed about going home but knows it is the Lord's will. So as soon as she got that news she knew that she wanted her last supper to be with this very special family. We were able to eat tacos and talk with her a bit and then they had to leave. Everyone was so heartbroken, she is going to be so missed! The rest of the time with the family was awesome. Hermana had made tacos at my request, they sang and we ate cupcakes, their daughter made me a cute card and gave us tons of scriptures! I just love them so much, they are definitely my mission family! After having a great time with them we went and had MCM at the Church. It was good and our new ward mission leader ended up having to kick those same boys out again so that was fun. We then went home and I opened all of the wonderful presents from my amazing family and friends. I so appreciate all of the love and birthday wishes that I received, they mean the world to me! Thank you soooooo much! It is so crazy to think that I am not a teenager anymore and that I have been on my mission for a year now! It was an amazing day and these next 6 months are going to be incredible!

From Crown Point, IN to Napa Valley, CA!!!
Ragnar Running with my Ragnar Family!
On Friday in honor of my mom and brother starting to run the Napa Valley Ragnar this morning, I got up, got Hna Pearson in front of the glass doors, and went for a little run out in our parking lot. There was a beautiful sunrise and it just made me feel so connected to my mom, it was great! We  drove to Chicago Heights and tried to see a few people, with no luck, before heading to eat with a branch member hermana. She had some really good food and had even gotten me a balloon and a birthday gift. We enjoyed talking with her and just enjoying being with her. After being with her we went to see a lady and her family that we are teaching. It ended up being just a stop by because she was super tired, having not slept for more than three hours in the last 36 hours. But she was happy to see us and asked us to pray for the husband of her sister in law who had an accident and was in bad shape in the hospital. Our appointment with another lady we are teaching cancelled so we looked for some more PNI's before going to see another family that we have been working with and they have now been coming to church over the past couple of months. We shared our lesson about prayer and the Spirit was very strong so I hope it was something that touched their hearts and helped them. We had fun talking with them about different things and their son giving us a bunch of random food because he found out it was my birthday yesterday :-)

My wonderful companion Hermana Pearson
and I in our mission car
On Saturday we had a nice busy day working in Chicago Heights. We were able to see a lady we have been teaching and we just talk with her which is nice for her because she just doesn't live in a good situation and we are really the only ones that care about her :-(  It rained a lot too and so it was fun to stop by houses in the rain and see everyone thinking about how crazy we were! We stopped at home to have dinner really fast before driving to Valpo for the adult session of Stake Conference. It was a really good session, really motivating and inspiring for both us and the members. Afterwards was the best part though because President Woodbury gave Hermana Pearson a blessing. She has not been able to sleep at all these past 5 weeks and it is really wearing on her. He gave her an amazing blessing that helped so much. We had left for home when we got a call from the Rensalear Hermanas telling us that they got permission to stay with us so that they didn't have to drive home and then right back up in the morning. We went back and saw President Woodbury once again at the Stake Center. After Hermana Pearson had gotten a blessing I had been kicking myself for not asking for one too because I had been wanting one for quite a while. Just wanting some comfort and counsel. So I got a second chance and asked him. He gladly gave me one and it was so incredible. It was just what I need to hear and really strengthened me! The Priesthood is the best! We then drove home and had the Rensalear Hermanas sleepover at our apartment which was a lot of fun.

Sunday was Stake Conference and it was really good. The Renssalear Hermanas just came to our local church building with us where it was broadcast so that we could ride together. Hna Pearson and Hna Ramirez translated to Spanish for our branch members and did a great job. Afterwards we had a really good Branch Council meeting and talked a lot about how we can all continue to strengthen a family, who as of today, is officially re-activated. But it doesn't end there. They have the goal of the temple and we do to and we are going to help them get there! We went home and all ate spaghetti. The sisters then drove home to work in their area a little and get clothes before coming back up to spend another night with us because we have zone activity tomorrow. In the afternoon we studied and did our weekly planning.

It was another super good, amazing, busy, fabulous week! I love being a missionary, it really is the best! There is nothing else on earth like it and I would not trade these experiences that I am having for anything!!!! I love you all so much and really cannot thank you all enough for all of the love and support that you give me! Have an amazing week!

Eternal Love,

Hermana Allyse Meanea